Influence of milling container internal geometry on the mechanical alloying process of the Fe75Si15B10 system

V. A.Peña Rodríguez, J. Quispe Marcatoma, J. M.Agüero Andrade, E. M. Baggio-Saitovitch, A. Caytueros Villegas, E. C. Passamani

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

2 Scopus citations

Abstract

57Fe Mössbauer spectroscopy and X-ray diffraction were used to study the influence of container internal geometry (flat-endings or round-endings) on the mechanical alloying process of the Fe75Si15B10 system. The Mössbauer spectrum for the sample processed for 19 h in a round-endings container indicates the formation of an amorphous Fe-B-Si phase, with 96% of the Fe total volume. Oppositely, the alloy processed in a flat-endings container for 12 h has a spectrum with 82% of Fe atoms in nanocrystalline Fe,Si and Fe2B phases and the remaining 18% are dispersed at the disordered grain boundary region (amorphous state). This result suggests that a single phase alloy is hard to be obtained in this container. It is also shown that the samples processed in the flat-endings container can be de-mixed to α-Fe phase by milling at times above 18 h. The sample preparation procedures have been repeated twice in order to prove the results reproducibility.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)261-265
Number of pages5
JournalMaterials Science & Engineering A: Structural Materials: Properties, Microstructure and Processing
Volume429
Issue number1-2
DOIs
StatePublished - 15 Aug 2006

Bibliographical note

Funding Information:
The authors express their thanks to the Latin American Center of Physics for partial financial support of this research.

Copyright:
Copyright 2008 Elsevier B.V., All rights reserved.

Keywords

  • Amorphous Phase
  • Fe Mössbauer spectroscopy
  • Intergranular phases
  • Mechanical alloying
  • Nanocrystalline alloys

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Influence of milling container internal geometry on the mechanical alloying process of the Fe<sub>75</sub>Si<sub>15</sub>B<sub>10</sub> system'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this